Warning: these are addictive, and I bet you won’t only be able to eat one. The good news is that they are fairly low in calories so you can eat more than one.
The combination of brie and jam or cranberry sauce is quite popular. It’s that salty/sweet combination that I think we really love. I first had this combination years ago when a friend purchased a wheel of brie that had a delicious fruit and nut topping from Wegman’s. It was meant to be baked and then served with crackers.
This version is much easier to make, and is so easy to serve. And – this is key – there is built in portion control. Gotta love that! I served this with a few pistachios on the side, so guests could top these with nuts, but we unanimously agreed that the nut-less version really allowed for the brie and cranberry to shine. Thus, no nuts for me (although the nuts do add to the visual appeal).
Think about making these for the holiday season if you’re looking for an easy, tasty, and elegant appetizer.
- Mini fillo shells, 15 (I used these)
- Brie, 2 ounces
- Cranberry sauce, about ¼ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut cheese into 15 equal portions
- Place fillo shells on a baking or cookie sheet
- Top each shell with 1 piece of cheese
- Spoon a heaping ¼ teaspoon of cranberry sauce on top of cheese
- Bake cups for about 10 minutes, until cheese has melted sufficiently
- Serve hot