This is one of my husband’s favorite recipes. Of course it is because he loves Italian sausage!
If you need a quick and easy meal for a sausage-lover, give this one a try. The flavor will largely depend on what brand tomatoes you use and of course, the sausage.
One of my favorite local brands in Botto’s sausage. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this sausage is available along most of the east coast and even in some parts of the west coast. Of course, buying local is always best so use your favorite local brand and you can’t go wrong. Botto’s in made in NJ, not far from me.
Speaking of Botto’s – they just opened up a shop on the Ocean City NJ boardwalk. My family and I visited Ocean City last month for vacation, and I tried one of their sandwiches. I had the sweet Italian sausage topped with long hots (ie, long hot peppers, which are sauteed lightly in olive oil). This sandwich was so delicious. And the bread? Amazing. But I think most of you don’t have access to long hots, so we’re gonna stick with pasta for this one. Maybe the sandwich in another post?
- 1 box (16 oz) penne pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1.25 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup dry red wine OR balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
- large handful of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven and add onion.
- Saute for 3 or 4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add sausage and increase heat to medium high
- Continue cooking until sausage is browned
- After meat is browned, add crushed tomatoes, wine (or vinegar), lemon juice, and basil
- Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Increase heat to high, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- Spoon sauce over pasta immediately before serving