Just say YES to this amazing Italian chopped salad! Based on the salad from California Pizza kitchen, this salad is full of vegetables with a touch of Italian deli meats. It is reminiscent of a deconstructed Italian hoagie. Best of all, it’s very easily customizable to your preference. Easy and tasty!
This is a very easy salad that comes together in minutes. I think of it as a deconstructed Italian hoagie without the hoagie roll. Of course, you can make it more plant based by skipping the meats and increasing the beans and/or by using vegan cheese.
I love it because it’s tasty, easy, and fairly quick to assemble.
Substitutions and Storage
Consider the ingredients for this salad as a guideline- customize it to your liking!
- Other deli meats can be used – instead of salami or prosciutto consider turkey or ham
- If you don’t care for olives, peppers, or any other vegetable listed, feel free to leave them out.
- Other cheeses can be used: provolone instead of mozzarella.
- To make the salad vegan friendly, use only beans and leave out the meats and cheeses.
- The salad is best eaten just after assembly or within 30 minutes of tossing (storage not recommended).
Other Favorite Salads...
Italian Chopped Salad
For the Salad
- 1 large Iceburg lettuce chopped (can mix with romaine)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes chopped
- ½ small red onion chopped fine
- handful basil chopped
- 1 can chickpeas (cooked, may use canned) chopped
- ¼ cup peppers jarred pepperoncini or roasted peppers
- ¼ pound mozzarella chopped
- ¼ pound salami chopped
- ¼ pound prosciutto chopped
- 4 tbsp grated cheese (parmesan)
- ¼ cup black olives chopped, optional
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp oregano
For the salad
- Rinse and dry all produce then chop ingredients
- In a large serving bowl, add chopped lettuce and top with all other ingredients in the order shown.
- Serve immediately with dressing.
- The salad is best eaten in its entirety after assembling as it gets soggy the next day.
For the dressing
- Mix all ingredients and whisk well. Substitute water for half of the olive oil to reduce calories.
Leave a Reply