My new favorite breakfast!
I eat a lot of oatmeal. I’m not exactly sure of when it started but it’s a bit of a habit now. It’s easy to make, it’s fast, and it’s healthy, and so I’m addicted.
Now, unlike most people, I’m more of a savory oatmeal kind of gal. I don’t like sugar in my oatmeal. I know, I know, I’m weird. I’ve always marched to the beat of my own drum, which is usually very different than other peoples.
The savory oatmeal just goes back to my dad. He’d make me oatmeal and fix it much like he’d fix the cream of wheat – with a bit of butter and salt. That’s it. And that is what I’m used to.
But I know the rest of the world eats oatmeal with some sugar in it. And so, this oatmeal is a family compromise since the husband likes brown sugar in his oatmeal.
This oatmeal contains some natural sweetness from bananas and it is served with brown sugar on the side.
Sooo, people like me have it with no added sugar, while the other diners can customize the sugar level to their liking. I mean sugar in oatmeal should be like sugar in coffee or tea – everyone has their own preference, right?
There is also a touch of vanilla extract and cinnamon to add some extra yum.
baked banana nut oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts , ground or smashed into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 bananas , very ripe, smashed (can have some small chunks)
- 1.5 cups low fat milk or plan almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- brown sugar for serving
- extra banana slices and nuts for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In medium sized bowl, combine dry ingredients (oatmeal, cinnamon, nuts, baking powder, salt)
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (wet ingredients; egg, butter, banana, milk, vanilla)
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir for about 1 minute to combine
- Grease a small 8x8 casserole dish and pour ingredients in dish
- Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving
- Serve with brown sugar and extra fruit for topping