When I lived in Michigan a few short years ago, I became more acquainted with Greek food, which is quite popular there. I lived about 45 minutes outside of Detroit, a city with a "Greektown". Until then, I had never thought about Greek food too much, although I always did enjoy it. On the east coast, I was used to things like Little Italy (in NYC and a sort of by-gone in Philly) and lots of cities have a Chinatown, but I'd never heard of a Greek town (at least here in Philly).
Turns out that Greek and Middle Eastern food is quite abundant in Michigan. There is a popular chain restaurant called Olga's, and they make such. good. pita bread. I found a recipe for it, and it is very good, but it tastes a bit too much like crepes to me. Don't get me wrong, I like crepes but I wanted my pita to taste more like pita and less like crepes. After tweaking the recipe a bit, I think I found a winner.
I make these very often. Sure it's easier to buy pitas at the store, but they are neverrrr as good. In fact, I often find that store bought pita bread is quite dry. And, I'd rather have the flat kind instead of the pita pockets, which seem to be much more popular in the grocery stores.
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 to 4 cups flour
- Combine milk, water, butter, and honey in mixing bowl of a standing mixer with dough hook
- Add yeast and mix for a few second to combine
- Add salt followed by enough flour to form a soft dough
- Knead dough for 3 to 4 minutes
- Place dough in oiled bowl, cover and let rest for 1 hour
- After 1 hour, form dough into 8 smaller balls and heat up a non-stick pancake griddle
- On a floured flat surface, roll out each dough ball into a flat circle about 6 to 7 each in diameter sprinkling with more flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Grill each pita for a few minutes until they begin bubbling and are very lightly golden brown, then flip and cook the reverse side
- Store in plastic bag and freeze unused pitas.
- Makes 8 small pitas