It’s officially spring, but the weather has been a little uncooperative this year! It’s still so chilly in the Philadelphia area. Although I’m looking forward to the warmer weather, more chilly weather does means at least one good thing: I can still enjoy my soup!
A few weeks ago, I tried Chick-fil-A’s tortilla soup for the first time. I believe it’s a limited time item? I’ve tasted other tortilla soups and have to say that I wasn’t a big fan so I didn’t have really high hopes. I was pleasantly surprised! Their version is much creamier than other versions I’ve tried and it is spicy without being too spicy. It’s also heavy on the beans, kind of like a chicken chili – I really enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much so that I set out to recreate the soup at home, especially since I’m trying to add more fiber rich foods to my diet.
I didn’t have much luck finding a copycat recipe online so I created my own version and was really happy with the results. I purchased a small bowl from Chick-fil-A to do a side-by-side taste test after my version was finished. My husband also tried both versions and was very complimentary.
Although they tasted quite similar, the homemade soup was much more flavorful and had a much “fresher” taste compared to the fast food version. I suppose that shouldn’t be surprising.
This soup is comfort food that’s actually healthy. Yay! Now, that’s definitely a good thing!
Although I opted to eat the soup plain, it would be even better topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and/or tortilla strips.
chicken tortilla soup
- White beans (Northern or Navy), 32 ounces (2 cans), drained and rinsed
- Black beans , 1 cup (about 1/2 can) drained and rinsed
- Corn , 1 cup (about 1/2 can)
- Green chili peppers , diced (1 small 4.5 ounce can)
- Chicken broth , 3 to 4 cups
- Red bell pepper , 1/2 large, finely diced
- Celery , 1 medium stick, finely diced
- Onion , 1 medium, finely diced
- Garlic , 2 cloves finely minced (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- Canola oil , 2 tablespoons
- Sour cream , 4 tablespoons
- Corn flour (Masa - see photo), 4 tablespoons
- Salt , 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Chili powder , 2 tablespoons
- Cumin , 1 tablespoon
- Fresh lemon juice , 2 tablespoons
- Chicken , 2 small breasts, cooked and shredded
- Tortilla chips , optional to serve
- In a large dutch oven, heat canola oil over medium high heat and add onion, celery and garlic and heat until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes
- Add white beans, black beans, corn, green chilis, bell pepper, and chicken broth to the pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add sour cream and continue heating for 1 minute
- Add corn flour, salt, chili powder, cumin, and lemon juice and continue heating for 15 minutes
- Check seasonings, adding more if needed.
- Add shredded chicken and continue cooking until chicken is heated, about 2 more minutes
- Serve with tortilla strips/chips (optional)
This soup does not freeze well (if gets very gritty when defrosted); if you'd like to freeze, leave out the corn flour and add it when you rewarm the soup.