Homemade Kolache Recipe
This is an easy homemade kolache recipe with your choice of fruit or sweetened cheese filling. Fresh out of the oven, your family will swoon over these pastries!
For the dough:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 10 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3.5 cups all purpose flour (17.5 ounces)* (up to 4 cups)
- ⅓ cup sugar (2.3 ounces)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the cheese filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar**
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest grated
- 6 ounces ricotta cheese (¾ cup)
For the fruit filling
- 10 ounces pineapple , blueberries, cherries, or other berries (fresh or frozen)
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
For the streusel topping:
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into 8 pieces and chilled
For the egg wash
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon milk
For the dough (makes 16 kolaches):
Combine milk, butter and eggs together in measuring cup (will be lumpy)
Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer then add milk mixture and knead for 2 minutes on low speed
Increase speed to medium and continue kneading for 8 to 12 minutes until dough no longer sticks to side of bowl
Place dough in an oiled bowl and let rise in warm place for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight in a covered bowl
For the cheese filling (enough for 16):
For the fruit filling (enough for 16):
To assemble and bake
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Divide dough into 16 equal size portions and form balls
Arrange on prepared pans, cover with plastic and allow to rest in warm place for 1.5 hours
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour the bottom of a ⅓ cup dry measure or a glass with a 2 ¼ inch diameter and use to make deep indents on top of each ball until bottom of measure touches baking sheet (see photo)
Fill each indentation with about 1.5 tablespoons of filling (if you are making both cheese and fruit filling, you will need only half of each filling recipe)
Brush tops of each pastry with egg wash, and then sprinkle sides with streusel
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (do not over bake - you want them very pale in color) and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- I use King Arthur brand flour, which is 4.25 oz per cup. Other all purpose flour have slightly different weights. Start with 3.5 cups and add a bit more if too sticky
- I thought the cheese filling wasn't sweet enough. Try the filling with the recommended sugar (3 tablespoons) but add another tablespoon or two to sweeten if needed.
- Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
- Nutrition facts below estimated for cheese filled kolache.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 196mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 518IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg