Happy Fourth of July! Last year, I made the infamous Fourth of July cake. That cake was sooo good – we loved it. I planned on making it again this year, but we spent the past few days in NYC so no time to bake and assemble the Fourth of July cake.
These cupcakes come together pretty quickly and – I think – are adorable for a Fourth of July party or any summer time gathering.
You can purchase the little spoons at your local party store (Party City in my neck of the woods) or if you have time, you can order them from Bake It Pretty. I didn’t have time to order, so I purchased my at the local party store.
I like how these cupcakes look in the white candy cups, shown below. If you can’t find those type of cups, they also look great in simple classic white cupcake liners.
To decorate them, I used Wilton Color Mist, but will use colored decorating sugars next time to make my life a little less messy!
Enjoy your holiday!
For the cupcakes
- 3/4 cup butter , room temperature
- 3 eggs
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup milk
For the frosting and decoration
- white buttercream frosting
- colored decorating sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare cupcake tray with liners
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of standing mixer, cream butter with sugar until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl and then continue to beat for 2 additional minutes
- Add eggs one at a time and scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition
- Beat in vanilla
- Add flour mixture alternatively with milk beating on low after each addition, and beating only until combined
- Spoon mixture into cupcake liners until about 1/2 full
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean after being inserted into center of cupcake.
- After cupcakes have been cooled, spoon about 1/4 cup frosting over each cupcake and smooth into a snow cone shape.
- Decorate with red, white and blue decorating sugar as shown