I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into my meals. Making a stir fry is a great way to eat more veggies.
We really enjoyed this dish. It’s the kind of dish that has just a touch of sweetness with a little kick from the Sriracha chili sauce – isn’t everything better with Sriracha sauce?!?
I used London Broil, also known as top round steak around these parts, which is a fairly tough cut of meat. To cook this cut of meat, I always sear it on a very hot grill after marinating it for several hours. This really does the trick to help produce a nice and tender final product.
The cooked steak should also be cut thinly, against the grain, on the diagonal after a 10 minute rest to prevent the juices from leaking out.
Other cuts of beef that work well for stir fries include skirt steak and flank steak, although I believe the former is more pricey. I think this dish would also work well if chicken were substituted in place of the steak.
For the beef
- 2 pounds beef , (I used London Broil)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion , rough chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic , smashed
For the vegetables:
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large red bell peppers , sliced into strips
- 1 very large red onion or 2 large , sliced into strips
- 6 large cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- Salt , to taste
- cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in 1/2 cup cold water)
For the meat:
- Combine all marinade ingredients and pour into gallon sized bag.
- Place meat into a large plastic bag with marinade and allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight
- Before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator and preheat grill to high for 10 minutes.
- Season the meat with salt, and then grill meat on high for 3 to 4 minutes each side and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For the vegetables:
- Heat Wok over high heat until smoking
- Add canola oil, peppers, onions, and garlic and stir fry vegetables until softened (about 10 minutes)
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, fresh ginger, Sriracha sauce, sugar and then stir to combine.
- Season with salt to taste
- Slowly add slurry (must be cold) to hot vegetable mixture and stir to combine
- Combine sliced beef with stir-fried vegetables
My stove is not hot enough to cook the meat as quickly as I would like to in the Wok, to avoid getting tough meat so I use my Weber grill to do cook the meat; if you have a more powerful stove, slice and cook the meat on the stovetop in your Wok just prior to cooking the vegetables. I've found the best way to get London Broil tender is to marinate it and then cook briefly over the highest heat possible.