I’m always looking for ways to get more vegetables into my diet as you might recall from my recent “spaghetti in disguise“. Of course, after this cake, the more vegetables the better. Life is all about balance, isn’t it?
Getting a good variety of vegetables in equally important. Until recently, I have to be honest and admit that I hadn’t eaten a ton of cauliflower. Maybe it was reading the Pinch of Yum’s blog that got me more interested in cauliflower. Lindsay seems to be on a cauliflower kick and it’s infectious! She’s made cauliflower pizza, cauliflower-based fettucine “Alfredo” and has even used cauliflower recently to make rice.
And while all of those sound and look amazing, I came across this idea earlier today and thought is would be the perfect accompaniment to the oven-fried Buffalo chicken wings that we were planning to make tonight.
Despite the fact that these loaded cauliflower florets could have probably used more cheese, the dish still came out great and I’m sure my scale will be thanking me later!
I roasted the cauliflower, but you can cook it any way you wish. After the cauliflower is cooked, top it with bacon bits, and shredded cheddar cheese. Place it in the oven for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and you’ve got a yummy side dish that could convert a cauliflower hater into a lover. I’ll definitely be making this again sometime soon!
- cauliflower , 1 medium head
- cheddar cheese , 1 cup shredded
- 4 strips cooked bacon , crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chives
- sour cream for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash and trim cauliflower
- Arrange cauliflower in a cast iron skillet or baking tray/dish
- Bake until fork tender, about 20 to 25 minutes
- Top with bacon and cheese and return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes
- Garnish with chives and sour cream