Let me tell you, homemade BBQ sauce is 1000 x’s better than the bottled stuff.
I guess it’s no surprise, since homemade anything is better than store bought (well…usually).
This BBQ sauce (or a similar version) was given to our family by a colleague of my husband. He gave us a nice big mason jar full of the stuff, and we really enjoyed it. When my husband asked for the recipe, he was told that it had a “secret ingredient” in it. Huh? What kind of secret ingredient could you put in BBQ sauce? Funny..
Well, turns out the secret ingredient is iced tea! Since I love iced tea, this was a must try. You can’t taste the iced tea, but it was still intriguing.
For years and years, I’ve been on a hunt for a good BBQ sauce recipe and nothing really knocked my socks off. This here though…this is a winner!
It is a bit bold, but of course, the recipe can be tweaked easily. If you’d like a milder version, you can cut back on the black pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
Source: BBQ University
homemade BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup iced tea
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (see note)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- Combine all ingredients in medium sized saucepan
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes until thickened
- Makes about 2 cups; recipe can be doubled.