I used this cream cheese frosting to make the 4th of July cake (AKA, Team USA cake). It would probably also work very well with red velvet cake. This recipe makes more than enough to generously frost a 9-inch three-layer cake.
Source: Secret Life of a Chef’s Wife
- three 8-oz packages of cream cheese , softened
- 1 cup of unsalted butter , softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar , sifted
- Whip the cream cheese and butter until fluffy
- Add the powdered sugar
- If desired, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring, unless a pure white frosting is required.