The crazy wintery weather seems relentless this year. My kids have had so many snow days that I have lost track. Another snow day today!
What to do with all this extra time at home? Well, when and if we have electricity, we have been busy cooking. Yesterday, we tried making homemade fudge. Although the flavor was fantastic, the texture was wrong wrong wrong. Apparently, I stirred it too soon. Ugh.
Today, my daughter wanted to make Pinkalicious cupcakes. I used the recipe from this book. We were so excited to try them but alas, the cupcakes were very mediocre at best. We rated them a 4 on a scale from 1 to 10. I should have known we were in trouble when the recipe for 16 cupcakes was enough for 32 cupcakes. Well, it was a fun baking day, and we had been wanting to make them for a while.
And so, I’m kinda of in need of a small break from the kitchen. It happens.
Still wanting to make something quick, healthy and naturally sweet for Valentines day, I thought of creating a “chocolate covered strawberry” hot chocolate because, ya know, I’ve been ogling those chocolate strawberries in the grocery store this week, but….no sugar for me. Well, at least today. I’m trying, and it’s NOT easy.
And so to make a sugar-free version of this hot beverage, I used Truvia. But you can use the sweetener and milk of your choice. My version uses almond milk, Truvia, fresh strawberries, and cocoa powder – yum!
chocolate covered strawberry hot chocolate
- 4 to 5 fresh strawberries , stemmed and washed
- 1 scant tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 3 packets of Truvia (or use sweetener of choice, to taste)
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- additional strawberries , diced for garnish (optional)
- whipped cream (optional; not for dairy and sugar free)
- Add strawberries, cocoa, sweetener, and almond milk to blender.
- Blend on high speed.
- If you own a Vitamix, you can continue blending for a minute or 2 until the mixture is hot; otherwise, transfer to a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Top with whipped cream and diced strawberries if desired.