Are you looking for a healthy recipe that still tastes good? Good news! I think you’ve found one here. This tostada begins with a corn or flour tortilla that is topped with seasoned black beans, followed by a cabbage/vegetable mixture, and is topped with sour cream.
This was sooo flavorful and easy to make (this alone makes it a winner in my book). Plus, anything with lime, chipolte, and cilantro is pretty much instantly added to my favorites list of recipes.
These tostadas are a perfect way to throw together a quick dinner or lunch. I used pre-shredded cabbage, which came packaged as green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots. Then, I julienned radishes and roughly chopped cilantro and added to the salad, which is then tossed in a lime-chili dressing and then topped with a lime-flavored sour cream.
No a big fan of black beans? Substitute shredded chicken, or use both. Feeling naughty? You can also add a bit or a lot (!) of shredded Mexican cheese on top on the bean layer and melt it under the broiler before adding the salad topping. You can also use flour tortillas in place of the corn tortillas and just warm them in lieu of crisping the corn tortillas in oil. This was so good that I’m going to have it again today.
black bean tostadas
To Prepare the Corn Tortilla Base Layer
- ¼ cup canola oil , plus more for frying
- 4 corn tortillas
To Make The Beans
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chicken broth or water
- freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad Dressing (gets mixed into salad) and the Sour Cream Topping (to top salad)
- 2 clove garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili paste or adobo sauce sometimes I substitute ½ tablespoon smoked paprika or hot sauce mixed with tablespoon of tomato paste
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (divided; use 2 tablespoons for dressing and the rest for the sour cream topping)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or Splenda instead)
- ½ cup sour cream
To Make The Salad
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro , roughly chopped
- 1 bunch radishes , julienned
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
Optional Additional Toppings
- 1 rotisserie chicken , skinned and shredded into large pieces (optional, I didn’t use)
- 1 cup mexican cheese (optional, I didn’t use)
To make the tortilla and beans layer:
- Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons oil in small non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Fry each tortilla until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes per side
- Add beans and cumin to the skillet and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes
- Add broth and smash the beans, stirring until saucy.
- Season with salt and pepper
To make the dressing:
- In a large bowl, stir garlic, chili paste, 2 tablespoons lime juice, sugar and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Slowly whisk in ¼ cup oil to make a salad dressing; add the cabbage, radishes, and cilantro and toss
To make the topping:
- In another bowl, mix sour cream with remaining lime juice and set aside
- Top each tortilla with beans, chicken (if using), and cheese (if using)
- If using cheese, place under broiler to melt cheese, about 1 to 2 minutes
- Top with cabbage mix, then sour cream