Adapted from Cooking Light
How was your summer? Even though it’s not officially the end of summer, the passage of Labor Day marks the unofficial close of summer for many of us. Moving forward, it’s back to the daily grind that includes morning school routines, homework, and after school activities. As much as I look forward to fall, the cooler weather, and the upcoming holidays, I will definitely miss the relatively laid back and carefree days of summer.
Although September weather is typically cooler than August, it is still warm. Warm enough to eat a cool dessert like this one. Does this dessert look familiar? I’ll give you a hint – it goes by another name (…….”Better than Sex Cake”). I’d never eaten this before I made it just recently. How can you not be curious about this dessert with a name like that? In our household, with kids, it would be a little awkward to call it that, so renaming was a requirement.
The original recipe called for all chocolate pudding instead of half vanilla and half chocolate, and frankly, when I make it again, I’d probably use all chocolate or maybe even mix the vanilla and chocolate together because, visually speaking, I think it would benefit from one less layer. Still, the cake is oh-so-good.
A perfect end to the summer season.
black and white dream cakePrint Pin Rate
- all purpose flour , 5.5 ounces (1 1/4 cups)
- powdered sugar , 1 1/4 cup, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter , cold cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans , toasted
- cooking spray
- 1 cup low fat cream cheese
- 1 carton from reduced calorie whipped topping (8 ounces)
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounce of instant chocolate pudding mix)
- 1 package (3.9 ounce of vanilla chocolate pudding mix)
- Cocoa powder to decorate top , if desired
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- combine flour and 1/4 cup of the of the sugar and then place in bowl of food processor with butter and pulse 10 times until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Stir in pecans and press mixture into the bottom of a 13 by 9 baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned and then cool
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip cream cheese with 1 cup sugar until fluffy and then add half of the whipped topping.
- Spread this mixture on the bottom of the cooled crust
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the pudding by adding 1.5 cups of milk to the vanilla pudding mix and 1.5 cups of milk to the chocolate pudding mix. Beat each mixture on medium speed for 2 minutes and then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until pudding is set.
- Layer each pudding flavor over sweetened cream cheese and then top with the remaining whipped topping. Chill for an additional 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cocoa powder if desired.