These sugar cookies are so simple to make and are one of my kid’s favorite cookies. They are big, soft, chewy, and do not require rolling out and cutting. I’d dare say they are drop cookies, but you’re not really dropping the batter in this recipe. More like shaping them into golf-sized balls and then gently pressing down to flatten before baking.
I’m not a big fan of overly sweet cookies or desserts and so I skipped the icing on these cookies (it also saves a lot of time and calories:)). I love the simplicity of sprinkling the funfetti sprinkles on top of these cookies and calling it a day.
I’ve made these way too many times during this past week.
This recipe makes 24 big cookies or you can opt to make them smaller and reduce the baking time to 10 to 12 minutes.
Either way, you will love em!
soft sugar cookies
- 4.5 cups all purpose flour
- 4.5 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cups unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs , room temperature
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium sized bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat until incorporated
- Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated
- Add flour and mix on low only until combined
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Form dough into balls (about ¼ cup each) and place on silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Slightly press down each dough ball, and top with about a teaspoon of funfetti sprinkles
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes (do not allow cookies to brown or they will dry out)