I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into my meals. Making a stir fry is a great way to eat more veggies.
We really enjoyed this dish. It’s the kind of dish that has just a touch of sweetness with a little kick from the Sriracha chili sauce – isn’t everything better with Sriracha sauce?!?
I used London Broil, also known as top round steak around these parts, which is a fairly tough cut of meat. To cook this cut of meat, I always sear it on a very hot grill after marinating it for several hours. This really does the trick to help produce a nice and tender final product.
The cooked steak should also be cut thinly, against the grain, on the diagonal after a 10 minute rest to prevent the juices from leaking out.
Other cuts of beef that work well for stir fries include skirt steak and flank steak, although I believe the former is more pricey. I think this dish would also work well if chicken were substituted in place of the steak.
- 2 pounds beef, (I used London Broil)
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion, rough chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 large red bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 very large red onion or 2 large, sliced into strips
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- ¾ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- Salt, to taste
- cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in ½ cup cold water)
- Combine all marinade ingredients and pour into gallon sized bag.
- Place meat into a large plastic bag with marinade and allow the meat to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight
- Before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator and preheat grill to high for 10 minutes.
- Season the meat with salt, and then grill meat on high for 3 to 4 minutes each side and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For the vegetables:
- Heat Wok over high heat until smoking
- Add canola oil, peppers, onions, and garlic and stir fry vegetables until softened (about 10 minutes)
- Add vinegar, soy sauce, fresh ginger, Sriracha sauce, sugar and then stir to combine.
- Season with salt to taste
- Slowly add slurry (must be cold) to hot vegetable mixture and stir to combine
- Combine sliced beef with stir-fried vegetables