So once in a while, I’ll have an extra dough ball or two because I usually make too much pizza dough. I probably should just freeze a few of the dough balls, to make it easier for the next pizza night, but sometimes experimenting is just more fun.
My mom used to make breakfast pizzas now and then. When you really think about it, a pizza shell is nothing more than a blank canvas that can serve as a base for a huge variety of combinations. In this case, a giant, open-faced, breakfast sandwich.
Making this pizza is as easy as scrambling eggs and cooking bacon. The pizza dough is then shaped, precooked – naked – for a few minutes and then topped with the precooked toppings and cheddar cheese.
Diet food, this is not. Although it can probably be easier on the waistline if you use egg whites and Canadian bacon instead of whole eggs and traditional bacon. The cheese can be a low fat version too.
If your pizza dough is already made or you pre-purchase it, this comes together fairly quickly (if you don’t count warming up the oven since the is hands off).
Give it a try! I can tell you that I ate waaay to much of this pizza.
- pizza dough, 1 medium ball (11.5 oz)
- eggs, 4
- milk, 1 tablespoon
- butter, 1 pat
- cheddar, ½ cup
- bacon, 6 slices
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and, if using, place your pizza stone or pizza steel within 6 to 8 inches of top (first or second rack)
- In the meantime, make the scrambled eggs but lightly beating the eggs with the milk in a small bowl. Set aside
- In a small saute pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook gently and scramble intermittently. When the eggs are finished cooking removing from heat and set aside.
- Cook bacon on griddle over medium high heat until crisp. Remove from heat, drain on paper town, and chop
- After oven has heated up for at least 45 min to 1 hour, shape pizza dough into a 14 inch round, and place it onto a floured pizza peel (or use parchment paper)
- Carefully insert into the oven onto the pizza stone and cook for about 2 minutes
- Remove from the oven with the pizza peel and top with cooked eggs, cheese, and bacon. Return the pizza to the oven and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes until lightly browned.