This is a pretty simple breakfast recipe…we all need simplicity in our lives, right? Actually, this is a very adaptable recipe too.
It’s a good breakfast recipe for a crowd, especially when you’re looking for a savory recipe.
When I make this next, I’ll probably add lots of vegetables for additional flavor because, as it stood, this casserole was very basic. Not basic in a bad way, just basic. No frills. But good. It is pretty much a fast way to make scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage and hash browns for six people. Add some spinach, diced fresh tomatoes, fresh mushroom – whatever floats your boat, and I think you can take this casserole over the top!
Here are some combinations that I think sound good:
- Spinach, tomato, gyro meat, and feta cheese (instead of the cheddar)
- Sausage, roasted peppers, and mozzarella (instead of cheddar)
- Artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, fontina cheese
- Black beans and top with gaucamole, salsa and sour cream after baking
- Mushroom, spinach, tomato, and pepper
- Zucchini, portabello, red peppers, onion
- Smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, dill, capers
- Diced chicken, American cheese, and onions (chicken cheesesteak)
There are too many to name! What combinations do you think sound good?
- 3 cups hash browns, thawed
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a non-stick skillet, crumble and cook turkey sausage over medium high heat until browned and then set aside
- In a medium sized bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and cheese
- To assemble the casserole, line the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish with the thawed hashbrowns and pour egg mixture on top.
- Sprinkle the cooked sausage on top
- Bake the casserole for 40 to 50 minutes until eggs are set