Healthy Mac and Cheese
Cuisine: Main Meal
- elbow pasta, 1.5 cups uncooked
- butternut squash, cubed, ½ cup
- carrots, chopped, ½ cup
- reduced fat cheddar cheese, ½ cup shredded
- low fat milk, 1 cup
- butter, 1 tablespoon
- flour, 1 tablespoon,
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- After the oven has been preheated, roast the vegetables until very soft and fork tender (about 30 minutes or so)
- When the vegetables are finished cooking, puree in a food processor and set aside.
- As the vegetables are cooking, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot.
- After the water has reached boiling, add 3 tablespoons of course salt, then add pasta and cook according to package directions (usually 6 to 9 minutes)
- When pasta has been cooked, drain, and set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large pan, melt butter over low heat
- When butter has melted, add flour and cook until a roux forms (do not allow the mixture to brown)
- Add 1 cup of milk a little at a time to the roux over medium heat, whisking as the milk is poured to form a thick sauce
- Remove the milk mixture from heat, add the shredded cheese and ½ cup of the pureed vegetables, and stir until cheese is melted
- Combine the milk-cheese-vegetable sauce with the pasta
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/butternut-macandcheese/