chicken mac and cheese with broccoli
- 6 oz pasta uncooked (12 oz cooked, or 3 cups)
- 4 cups pre-chopped broccoli florets
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces of chicken (about 1 medium sized breast), chopped
- ½ teaspoon table salt plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2¼ cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon of all purpose flour
- 5 ounces of low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 1¼ cup)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- If using dry pasta, begin by cooking 6 ounces according to package directions
- During the last minute of cooking, add broccoli to pasta water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and set aside pasta and broccoli.
- In large saute pan, cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Remove bacon and all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon drippings
- Add chicken to the pan (with the reserved 1 teaspoon of bacon drippings), and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, salt, and turmeric to chicken and continue cooking for another 30 seconds.
- Whisk flour with milk and add to the saute pan with chicken and cook over medium high heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in ½ of the cheddar cheese and the black pepper
- Add pasta and broccoli to the pan with the cheese sauce and chicken. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-safe baking dish and top with bacon and the other half of the cheddar cheese
- Broil for 2 to 3 minutes until cheese has melted.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/chicken-mac-cheese-broccoli/