Savannah red rice
- butter, 4 tablespoons divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes (14 oz each)
- 2 cups chicken broth plus more if needed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar mixed with a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups long-grain rice (see note)
- 1 pound chorizo, cooked and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 pound raw shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter to a medium sauced saute pan and cook celery, onion, and garlic until fragrant and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, vinegar with pepper, bay leaf, thyme and pepper, and salt, and continue to simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- In another saute pan, add the remaining butter and heat until melted. Then add rice and cook until translucent, stirring very frequently for about 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
Carolina Gold rice recommended; I couldn't find this brand and used long grain rice and it came out great but the Carolina Gold is supposed to be better
The rice is a bit al dente in the finished dish; if you prefer the rice to be cooked more thoroughly, add more chicken broth at the end and continue cooking
Serving size: 1 of 8 servings Calories: 458 Fat: 19 g Saturated fat: 9 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 48 g Sugar: 1 g Sodium: 970 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 24 g Cholesterol: 122 mg
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/savannah-red-rice/