homemade flour tortillas
Serves: makes 12 small tortillas
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup lard or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup warm milk or water
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a standing mixer and stir to combine
- Add lard to the flour mixture and use a fork to combine so that the mixture is dry and crumbly
- Slowly add milk or water and beat dough on low speed for about 4 minutes
- Divide dough equally into 12 small balls and let rest for 30 minutes
- When you are ready to cook the tortillas, heat a pancake griddle over moderate heat (or use an electric griddle) and prepare to form the tortillas
- Use flour to lightly coat top and bottom of each dough ball before rolling out.
- Using a rolling pin, gently flatten the dough ball and then roll out in a very thin circle. It helps to roll gently and turn the tortilla often.
- Place on preheated griddle or pan and flip when they start to bubble.
- Do not overcook these as they will get too hard. The tortillas should remain very pale in color.
Serving size: 1 tortilla Calories: 122 Fat: 4.8 g Saturated fat: 1.9 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 16.8 g Sugar: 0.8 g Sodium: 105 mg Fiber: 0.6 g Protein: 2.6 g Cholesterol: 5 mg
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/homemade-flour-tortillas/