brussel sprout lovers pizza
Author: Marie | FeelingFoodish
- pizza dough, 11.5 ounces ball
- hardwood-smoked bacon, 6 to 7 strips cooked and chopped
- brussel sprouts, ½ pound (3 to 4 cups)
- red onion, finely diced, about ¼ cup
- garlic cloves, 2 minced
- olive oil, 2 tablespoon plus more for drizzling
- parmesan cheese, ¼ cup or to taste
- table salt, ¾ teaspoon
- red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place pizza stone or pizza steel in oven (I place mine within 6 to 8 inches of top of oven) and preheat at 550 degrees
- Remove dough from refrigerator and set on well floured surface; sprinkle flour on top and set aside while you prepare topping and heat oven
- Wash and trim brussel sprouts, cut into halves or quarters (depending on size) and set aside.
- In a cast iron pan (or nonstick pan), heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat, and add garlic and onions.
- Stirring constantly to prevent garlic from browning, continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add brussel sprouts and reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally and scrape the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat and season with salt, fresh ground pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Add ½ of the bacon and gently combine/stir.
- Prepare your pizza peel by flouring it well (rub with flour) or cut a piece of parchment paper
- Open the dough ball and stretch to 12 inches or 14 inches for very thin pizza
- Set pizza shell on pizza peel or parchment paper, and then drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Scatter brussel sprout on top and add the remaining bacon.
- Sprinkle parmesan on top of pizza
- Transfer pizza to pizza stone and reduce heat to 500 and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven with pizza peel, slice and serve.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/brussel-sprout-pizza/