peach vanilla jam
- 3.5 pounds peaches (about 8 to 10 medium sized)
- 1.25 pounds sugar (scant 3 cups)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil
- Add peaches and cook for 1 to 2 minutes
- Remove peaches, drain, and place in a bowl of ice water. Peel when cool enough to handle (ripe peaches will now peel easily)
- Remove pit, and slice each peach into quarters, removing any bruised parts.
- Mix in lemon juice to prevent oxidation, then add mixture along with sugar, salt, and vanilla extract to a large stock pot and heat over high flame until boiling.
- Stir frequently and reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning; continue cooking for up to 12 minutes.
- You can test the thickness by dropping a small amount of jam onto a cool dish (since jam will thicken after cooling)
- Refrigerate for up to 2 months or can using information from pickyourown
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/peach-vanilla-jam/