chocolate zucchini cake
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1¼ cups sugar (add ½ cup more for sweeter cake)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (yes, tablespoon)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream or buttermilk
- ¾ cup dutch processed cocoa or natural cocoa
- zucchini, shredded (4 cups)
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour (6 ounces)*
- 1 cup oatmeal flour (3.25 ounces)*
- ½ cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet
- 1 to 2 cups chocolate chips, semi sweet
- Chopped nuts, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or ice cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Grease and flour a 9 by 13 baking pan and set aside
- Combine the oat and whole wheat flours and set aside
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, sugar, and oil and mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes
- Add the sour cream and flours (oatmeal and whole wheat) alternately beating only until incorporated.
- Fold in the zucchini followed by the ½ cup of chocolate chips
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes just until set.
- Slide the cake out of the oven and then top with 1 to 2 cups of chocolate chips
- Slide cake back into oven and then bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until cake tester comes out clean
- Note: chocolate chips will soften but not completely melt. You must gently spread the chips out with a spatula after the cake is finished.
- Cool and top with nuts, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or ice cream (optional)
* or use 2.5 cups all purpose flour
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/chocolate-zucchini-cake/