Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 box (16 oz) penne pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1.25 pounds hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup dry red wine OR balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
- large handful of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven and add onion.
- Saute for 3 or 4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add sausage and increase heat to medium high
- Continue cooking until sausage is browned
- After meat is browned, add crushed tomatoes, wine (or vinegar), lemon juice, and basil
- Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper.
- Increase heat to high, bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- Spoon sauce over pasta immediately before serving
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/penne-arrabiata/