shrimp scampi with wilted spinach
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1 pound shrimp, cleaned
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- ⅔ cup of olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup white wine
- crushed red pepper, ¼ teaspoon
- salt and pepper
- fresh parley, chopped (optional)
- fresh spinach, 2 to 3 cups, rinsed and dried
- Bring one gallon of water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add 4.5 teaspoons of salt and pasta to water and bring back to a boil, cooking according to package instructions.
- Do not overcook pasta - it is best served al dente
- Reserve pasta water
- In the meantime, heat ⅓ cup olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and add to pan.
- Cook shrimp for 4 to 5 minutes, 2 minutes on each side.
- Using slotted spoon, remove shrimp from pan and set aside
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes - do not brown!
- Add white wine and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, zest, and crushed red pepper and cook for another minute.
- Drain pasta and then toss with spinach, shrimp, and sauce.
- Add a bit of reserved pasta water if desired.
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/shrimp-scampi-with-wilted-spinach/