Fourth of July Cake (aka Team USA Cake)
Author: Marie - Feeling Foodish
- 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- 2¾ cup cake flour (11 oz), sifted
- 1 cup milk (room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans and wrap dampened Bake Even strips around them, if using
- Cream together butter and shortening until light in color and well incorporated.
- Add the baking powder, sugar, flavorings, and salt and continue to beat for another minute.
- Add the egg whites one at a time over a 5-minute time span
- End by adding ¼ of the flour following by ⅓ of the milk continuing until all the flour and milk has been added. Begin and end with the flour
- Ensure that the batter is no over beaten so the batter does not become deflated.
- Bake until the layers spring back lightly to the touch and the layers just begin to pull away from the sides, about 27 to 32 minutes.
- After cooling on a wire rack for 10 minutes, refrigerate and follow cake assembly instructions.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/fourth-of-july-cake/