easter pie (pizza rustica)
Cuisine: Neopolitan Easter Holidays
Serves: 8 to 10
- All purpose flour, 2 to 2.5 cups
- Water reserved from ham (or plain water),1/2 cup
- Oil, ¼ cup
- Sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Active or instant yeast, ¼ teaspoon
- Milk, 2 tablespoons
- Hard boiled eggs, 4 (sliced)
- Easter cheese or mozzarella, cubed/sliced, 1.5 cups
- Prosciutto, boiled then shredded, 8 ounces (reserve water for pie crust dough)
- Grated cheese (Romano or Parmesan), ½ cup
- Ricotta, 1 cup
- Eggs, 6
- ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Combine all ingredients except for flour in large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of the flour and mix until well combined, about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add more flour if needed, until a soft dough forms (dough should not be too sticky)
- Knead for a total of 3 to 4 minutes and then let rest in covered and oiled bowl while you are preparing the filling
- Beat the eggs until fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add the grated cheese and ricotta (if using) and mix to combine, about 1 minute
- Add the black pepper and the shredded meat and mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease an 8 inch cake pan.
- Using ⅔ of the dough, roll out a large circle and insert in into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Layer and small amount of the egg-meat mixture onto the bottom of the pie and then cover with sliced eggs and Easter cheese/mozzarella.
- Continue layering egg-meat mixture and sliced eggs/Easter cheese, ending with the egg-meat mixture (NOT like shown in the photo:)
- Using the remaining dough, roll out another circle and top the pie.
- Press the edges of the dough together to seal and roll as shown the in photo above.
- Cut slits into the top, brush with egg wash and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/easter-pie-pizza-rustica/