Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons dry
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, tomato paste, and lentils and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 20 minutes
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat and add garlic and onions and continue to cook
- Saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion/garlic mixture to lentil/chicken stock and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Add spices, and salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully transfer mixture to a standing blender and process until smooth
- Remove from blender; add cilantro and lemon juice before serving.
- Garnish with additional smoked paprika (optional)
May serve with brown rice and top with plain Greek yogurt May use tumeric in place of the smoked paprika.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/red-lentil-soup-with-lemon/