Mom's Best Ever Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 6 large garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 small can tomato paste (6 ounce)
- 1 small can tomato sauce (15 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped green or red bell peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- *If you like spicy food, try adding a tablespoon of Sriracha sauce (optional)
- In a large non-stick pan, brown turkey over medium high heat and then remove to dish and set aside (drain fat if using beef)
- Add ¼ cup of oil to pan and saute onions and garlic over medium-high heat until translucent and fragrant, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the meat back to pan, along with all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to cook uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Check seasonings, and add black pepper to taste and more salt if desired
- Serve on freshly baked snowflake rolls or other bakery rolls of your choice.
You can slow cook these for longer than 1 hour if desired; just ensure that you keep the meat covered for the majority of the time so the mixture doesn't dry out.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/moms-best-ever-sloppy-joes/