roasted beet and goat cheese salad with walnut vinaigrette
Recipe type: Salad
- 10 small red beets
- 1 pound mixed greens
- 5 ounces arugula
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of honey
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup walnut oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Place beets on sheet of aluminum foil and make pouch to seal beets inside.
- Place in oven on top of cookie sheet and bake for about 40 minutes and then remove and continue to allow beets to steam inside pouch for another 10 minutes or so.
- Open pouch and let beets cool
- In the meantime, make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients in a bowl or plastic bottle and stir or shake to combine. Set aside
- When beets have cooled, remove and discard skin, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Mix beets with ½ of the salad dressing and use the remaining dressing to dress the greens.
- Transfer greens to plates and top with nuts and cheese.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/roasted-beet-and-goat-cheese-salad-with-walnut-vinaigrette/