Pasta with Vodka Sauce and Sausage
Recipe type: Main Meal
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup vodka
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons of fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- for garnish
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta to water and cook about 6 to 10 minutes until al dente or according to package instructions.
- Drain and return to pot.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add sausage, and cook until brown and all pink has disappeared, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions, salt, and red peppers and cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir, cook until the sauce thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the vodka and cook until the sauce is reduced 6 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and heat for 3 or 4 additional minutes.
- Toss immediately with pasta and serve with grated cheese, topped with fresh basil.
Recipe by Feeling Foodish at http://feelingfoodish.com/pasta-with-vodka-sauce-and-sausage/