Need to make a no-cook appetizer in a hurry? Here’s an idea! So easy and good too.
I made this for a fourth of July get together that my neighbor had in honor of new neighbors who have just moved in. It was a really fun day full of good friends, food, and drink.
I had planned to make a shrimp appetizer with wasabi sauce, which I love, but when I mentioned it to my husband, I got “the look”. Ugh. He asked me to make a sausage-based dip instead. Now, I’ve made that sausage dip before – I can’t recall the exact recipe but it’s something like crumbled sausage that you mix with Rotel tomatoes and maybe cream cheese? I do remember that although it’s tasty, it does not look remotely appealing. In fact, I think it looks like – well – I’ll leave it up to your imagination…lol.
When I mentioned the caprese salad appetizer, it was an immediate yes. This is a good one for the carb-conscious folks, although too much cheese can probably be high in calories. This is where the portion size of this dish really helps, since the helpings are so small.
I used a balsamic vinaigrette and fresh basil from the garden (don’t you just love summer??). So no real recipe for this one – simply an idea for a great summer appetizer.
- Bunch of fresh basil, rinsed, leaves removed
- 2 containers (8 oz each) of fresh mozzarella balls (also called bocconcini)
- 2 pints of cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed
- Dressing of your choice to serve
- Assemble by inserting toothpick into cheese, basil and tomato
- Arrange on tray and serve with salad dressing
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve