This is my favorite way to eat meatloaf. Have you ever tried apple turkey meatloaf? Even the kids love it and they aren’t big meatloaf fans.
The recipe is based on the famous Oprah turkey burger, which she declared the best turkey burger in the world! Who am I to argue with her? I’m pretty sure she’s tried many more turkey burgers at various locales world-wide compared to me. Now that would be a fun road trip, wouldn’t it?
It’s a relatively easy meatloaf to make and is a perfect part of a comfort meal. Begin by chopping up onion (I used red onions, but other types will do), celery, and apple. Saute this mixture along with some garlic until softened and then let cool.
Combine with a few other ingredients (see recipe below) and then form into a loaf like so:
Bake it in the oven until the internal temperature reads 165 and then let sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
I served this with a big ole salad and some garlic mashed potatoes, although I wanted to make some cauliflower mash (part potato/part cauliflower). Maybe next time…
- ground turkey, 1 pound
- ½ cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1 cup chopped apple (1/2 large apple)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons Major Grey's mango chutney or apricot preserves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil, onion, celery, apple, and garlic.
- Saute for 6 minutes then cover reduce heat to medium and cook for an additional 10 minutes
- Allow vegetable mixture to cool and then combine with remaining ingredients in a large bowl
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Form meatloaf into a rectangular loaf and place into an oven safe pan (I used cast iron)
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees